• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please Help! Tax Return Question for a Minor!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AKolimaga

Hi- I am 16 years old, and I live in NJ. I made just over $11,000 this year working. I recieved my W2's recently, and my mom called the tax place. They told her that since I broke $10,000, I was getting just about nothing back in refunds. I thought that if you are 18 and under your parents care you get most of your tax money back? Is this right? Thanks in advance for any help.

tranquility

Do your taxes. It is a good learning experience and will help you understand the importance of when politicians talk of taxes (Or, revenues. The don't like to say the "T" word when they want to raise them.) or of spending (Aka "investing" when the government needs to do the "T" word to get the money to "invest".).

Use the 1040ez form and list yourself as declared as a dependent by your parents. It won't take that long and, if you actually read the instructions along the way, you can help others who have the same questions at the parties for the next few months. Knowing about taxes can be cool! (Phat? Groovy? Gnarly? Bitchen? Neato? Please insert current slang term for wonderful and terrific in the extreme here.) Everyone knows tax guys get all the chicks. And vice versa.

(By the way, you have no special exemption from taxes because of your age and because of being a dependent of your parents. What you owe is a calculation which requires all the numbers from your W-2 to make.)

anteater

And, if you have anything left from that $11,000, establish an IRA.

Investing is even cooler than taxes. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">