• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Haven't Filed Taxes!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B.Santiago

What is the name of your state? MA

Here is my dilema I am 21 years old and lets just say i havent been very responsible the past few years and have not filed my taxes I have turned over a new leaf and fixed all my credit issues and past due bills so i must file taxes this year and square everything away my issue is i am not sure what if anything special i need do i need all the W'2's since i filed last from every past employer or just for this year and do i need to let my tax agent know of my stupidity or just file for this year (doubt it is that easy) and the biggest question what will be the consequences if any i have heard incredible fines, jail, and all types of other charges. i only really make about $14,500 before taxes each year so i am far from a wealthy business man avoiding tax paying i simply was careless and want to fix the issue now. So any advice and or coaching i can receive would be great. thank you for your time and patience.
-BrandonWhat is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? MA

Here is my dilema I am 21 years old and lets just say i havent been very responsible the past few years and have not filed my taxes I have turned over a new leaf and fixed all my credit issues and past due bills so i must file taxes this year and square everything away my issue is i am not sure what if anything special i need do i need all the W'2's since i filed last from every past employer or just for this year and do i need to let my tax agent know of my stupidity or just file for this year (doubt it is that easy) and the biggest question what will be the consequences if any i have heard incredible fines, jail, and all types of other charges. i only really make about $14,500 before taxes each year so i am far from a wealthy business man avoiding tax paying i simply was careless and want to fix the issue now. So any advice and or coaching i can receive would be great. thank you for your time and patience.
-BrandonWhat is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?
You will need all of your w2s for each year. You can get them from your employers and that is the recommended solution.

You can also get income transcripts from the IRS by calling 1-800-829-1040. However that will only help you file federal taxes, that won't help you file state income taxes....that is why its better to go back and get them from your employers.

Once you have your W2s then you need to get your taxes prepared for the years in question and get them filed. You may not owe anything....it all depends on your withholding.

tranquility

Go back for each of the last three years and download that year's 1040ez from the internet. Fill in the blanks using the information from your W-2s. Submit the forms. Your uncle (sam) will kiss you full on the lips.

I bet that rather than owing money, you will get some back. Don't sweat it. If you file before they ask, jail is not going to happen and huge penalties will probably not happen either.

Welcome to adulthood. There will be other tests along the way. This was an easy one.

Info edit:
As LdiJ said, don't forget your state either. You may owe some there, but maybe not. I'd go back three years, but my advice is to go back all the years in question to start the SOL running.

Last edited:

efflandt

See http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=108327,00.html

Besides W-2's you also need any 1099's (bank interest, etc.), although, if you had no investments or savings, that may be negligible (very low interest rates). If you had a job that filed W-2 forms they usually withhold more than enough for taxes.

There is no penalty if due a refund, they just do it themselves based on info they have and keep it all until you file. You can only get refunds by filing within 3 years of due date. So get cracking before April 15th if due a refund from 2003 tax due in 2004.

It is a whole different story if you owe tax. They can go farther back plus penalties.

You also need to look into what is required for state taxes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">