• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Receipt Needed for Donation by Check?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Orcons

What is the name of your state? MA

I made a donation to a charitable organization of $274. I know I need a receipt if the donation is over $250. The organization did not send me a receipt. Rather than chasing them down for a receipt, can I claim a deduction for under $250 and use my cancelled check to justify it (essentially forgoing a few dollars of the deduction to avoid having to get a recepit?) Or is the IRS going to say that I need a receipt as the donation was over $250 even though I am not claiming the entire donation?

Thanks.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? MA

I made a donation to a charitable organization of $274. I know I need a receipt if the donation is over $250. The organization did not send me a receipt. Rather than chasing them down for a receipt, can I claim a deduction for under $250 and use my cancelled check to justify it (essentially forgoing a few dollars of the deduction to avoid having to get a recepit?) Or is the IRS going to say that I need a receipt as the donation was over $250 even though I am not claiming the entire donation?

Thanks.
Actually, the new rule for 2006 is that you must have a receipt for any donation, no matter how small.

Orcons

Actually, the new rule for 2006 is that you must have a receipt for any donation, no matter how small.
I think the rule is that you need a record for every donation but receipts if the donation is over $250. For amounts under $250, a bank statement, cancelled check or credit card statement will suffice as I understand it. What you can't do anymore is claim to have given a cash donation without a receipt.

Edit: I just checked the IRS web site and I think Tranquility is correct about when the new rule takes effect.

Last edited:

tranquility

I believe the Pension Protection Act of 2006 (the law changing substantiation requirements) goes into effect for tax years which begins after August 17, 2006. Meaning, for most of us, it does not apply to 2006.

Even then, a check would be acceptable if you also provided a bank record, or a receipt, letter or other written communication from the charitable organizaion. Only if the contribution is more than $250 would you be required to provide acknowledgment from the quialified organizaion. (Or, certain payroll deduction records.)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">