• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployed fiance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mn_girl

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

My fiance is unemployed and has been for over a year. We live together, and I pay all of the utility bills, rent and groceries. In addition, I write him a check every month, which he puts into his checking account, to pay for automatic withdrawals like his cell phone bill, credit card, etc. I am unsure how to file for taxes for both of us. Is this a deduction for me and income for him? Am I head of household or is he a dependent? Thank you for your help.What is the name of your state?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

My fiance is unemployed and has been for over a year. We live together, and I pay all of the utility bills, rent and groceries. In addition, I write him a check every month, which he puts into his checking account, to pay for automatic withdrawals like his cell phone bill, credit card, etc. I am unsure how to file for taxes for both of us. Is this a deduction for me and income for him? Am I head of household or is he a dependent? Thank you for your help.What is the name of your state?
He is your dependent. You would claim him on your taxes as such. The money that you give him is a gift. As long as its less that 12k for the year, there is nothing that needs to be done regarding that.

Dandy Don

Depending on whatever tax form you file, please be sure to look at the instructions in the accompanying tax booklet for that particular tax form--they will clearly provide specifications and a checklist to help you determine whether this person qualifies as a dependent or not.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">