• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fta

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

debreb4

California
If you failed to appear in court because you were truly sick and you even called the courtroom, I know they put out a bench warrant. Is there anything you can do to avoid spending overnight in jail when you go back to court?

CdwJava

debreb4 said:
If you failed to appear in court because you were truly sick and you even called the courtroom, I know they put out a bench warrant. Is there anything you can do to avoid spending overnight in jail when you go back to court?
Bring bail money with you. And beg to be released on bail.

As an FYI, claiming to be ill and missing a court hearing is VERY common. It is more common if the court hearing is related to progress in a drug or alcohol case and the defendant suspects he or she might test dirty. Don't be surprised if the judge denies bail or sets it very high.

- Carl

garrula lingua

It depends on the Judge.

Get to court ASAP. Hopefully, the clerk made a notation of your call.
DO NOT LIE about calling or exaggerate your illness.

If you were really too ill, you should have a doctor's note....

seniorjudge

California
The judge has heard this one before.

FTA is the unforgivable sin in the court system.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">