• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

IRS is after us Major help needed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tootsie

What is the name of your state? CA

My DH owed the IRS 75K before we were married, 3yrs ago

He has not filed or paid taxes since 2002.
They have basically wiped out all of our money from the bank and we also owe the bank some more money on top of all that.

I do not work, I am a stay at home mom of 2 kids. Is there a way of a do-it-yourself thing to stop the IRS from taking more money from us?

MY DH has been in a deep depression, he has been mentally ill for the past year, and was unable to function. Now he has started working again. He is self employed and cannot take a regular salary job.

How close to jail time are we in?

tootsie

hello

i plan on being a stay at home mom for one more year, and then go back to school to one more yr to finish my degree. we have a 6month old and a 2.5 year old.

repayment plans? i didn't know that was avail. thanks!

Just Blue

i plan on being a stay at home mom for one more year, and then go back to school to one more yr to finish my degree. we have a 6month old and a 2.5 year old.

repayment plans? i didn't know that was avail. thanks!
You can't afford to be a stay at home mom...go get a job..

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? CA

My DH owed the IRS 75K before we were married, 3yrs ago

He has not filed or paid taxes since 2002.
They have basically wiped out all of our money from the bank and we also owe the bank some more money on top of all that.

I do not work, I am a stay at home mom of 2 kids. Is there a way of a do-it-yourself thing to stop the IRS from taking more money from us?

MY DH has been in a deep depression, he has been mentally ill for the past year, and was unable to function. Now he has started working again. He is self employed and cannot take a regular salary job.

How close to jail time are we in?
By not filing a tax return since 2002, he is just making things worse.

First, I would recommend that you do NOT file joint returns with him. Its in your best interest not to become jointly liable for any of his tax. You are in a community property state so your assets aren't going to be ask protected as they would be in an equitable distribution state, but its still better that you not have any personal liability for the taxes. Its better for you, and better for your family. You would at least be able to have a bank account that would be free from seizure.

He needs to get the returns prepared to bring him current, so that he knows exactly where he stands. Then once he has done that, he needs to consult with a tax attorney as to where to go with this. Its honestly gone too far to try to do it on a DIY basis.

Just Blue

By staying at home with her children she is actually working the equivalent of 2 full time jobs, so I am sure you meant she should go get a job OUTSIDE of the home ;):D
Of course that's what I meant!!:p I have two of my own...I know how hard it is..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">