• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statute of limitations on estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wmcot

What is the name of your state? Maine

My father-in-law died in Maine in 2003. His neighbor was appointed by his will as executor. He seemed to be a nice guy at the beginning, but has since run into his own personal problems (divorce) and now is not moving on the estate at all. Is there a legal time period in the state of Maine for the estate to be settled? I'm thinking that the executor may be using his role as a "side business" by collecting his "expenses" from the estate while it drags on.

Any help would be appreciated!:confused:

BelizeBreeze

What is the name of your state? Maine

My father-in-law died in Maine in 2003. His neighbor was appointed by his will as executor. He seemed to be a nice guy at the beginning, but has since run into his own personal problems (divorce) and now is not moving on the estate at all. Is there a legal time period in the state of Maine for the estate to be settled? I'm thinking that the executor may be using his role as a "side business" by collecting his "expenses" from the estate while it drags on.

Any help would be appreciated!:confused:
Anyone can file a petition to remove the executor but you'd better have more than supposition for the judge to rule in your favor.

Dandy Don

Are you a beneficiary? Do you have any reason to suspect undue influence?

Talk to the man about this and ask if he would mind if an attorney was hired to be executor. He is not making that much money from executor fees to where it would be in his interest to stall/delay.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">