• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Abuse of Grandparent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MelanieLeigh

What is the name of your state? New Mexico

My 92-year old grandfather is in the middle of a domestic dispute, has no guardianship and has been removed from his home, and even after asking to go home, is not being returned home by my aunt and uncle who refuse to allow us to see him/call between 8-5 p.m. Monday-Friday. There's a lot more involved and it's quite complicated, but I am upset that my grandfather is being coerced into saying things and doing things he wouldn't normally do. Also note that my grandfather had a stroke about 15 years ago and cannot say what he is thinking, although I know this also is probably very confusing for him, but he wants to return home. This is abuse and I want to know what I can do about it.

Just Blue

My 92-year old grandfather is in the middle of a domestic dispute, has no guardianship and has been removed from his home, and even after asking to go home, is not being returned home by my aunt and uncle who refuse to allow us to see him/call between 8-5 p.m. Monday-Friday. There's a lot more involved and it's quite complicated, but I am upset that my grandfather is being coerced into saying things and doing things he wouldn't normally do. Also note that my grandfather had a stroke about 15 years ago and cannot say what he is thinking, although I know this also is probably very confusing for him, but he wants to return home. This is abuse and I want to know what I can do about it.

If he can't say what he is thinking ...How do you know he wants to return home??:confused: Have you called the police to report this kidnapping?

BlondiePB

Call Adult Protective Services in the county where your grandfather is located.

MelanieLeigh

He can say very basic sentances like "I want to go home" and her will make it very clear if he does or does not like his current situation. The stroke took his ability to speak full sentances, but with speech therapy he's gained back very basic speech. Because of his age, he can easily be coerced to say things that he may not fully understand just because he wants to be returned to his home.

BlondiePB

He can say very basic sentances like "I want to go home" and her will make it very clear if he does or does not like his current situation. The stroke took his ability to speak full sentances, but with speech therapy he's gained back very basic speech. Because of his age, he can easily be coerced to say things that he may not fully understand just because he wants to be returned to his home.
You're 92 yr. old grandfather is not capable of taking care of himself. Most elders do want to be in their own home; however, they would be an endanger to themselves. What would be abuse here is letting gramps stay home alone.

MelanieLeigh

He has a caretaker hired to take care of him during the day and has been staying home and that is where he wants to be!! They are removing him against his will because they want his son to move out of the home because they are fighting against eachother (brothers are fighting) and are using my grandfather in an abusive way to get their way. They do not have guardianship to make those decisions and they are not allowing my father, his own son, have any say because THEY want all the control. They said to my dad (grandpa's son), "We will not bring grandpa home until you move out of the house." Even though grandpa wants him there. The arrangement prior to them taking grandpa was that they hired a day care home health aid and my dad was there after work to take care of him after work. Then brothers started fighting amongst themselves and one brother kicks him out by coercing grandpa to say he must move out before they will drive him home. Make sense now? :)

BlondiePB

He has a caretaker hired to take care of him during the day and has been staying home and that is where he wants to be!! They are removing him against his will because they want his son to move out of the home because they are fighting against eachother (brothers are fighting) and are using my grandfather in an abusive way to get their way. They do not have guardianship to make those decisions and they are not allowing my father, his own son, have any say because THEY want all the control. They said to my dad (grandpa's son), "We will not bring grandpa home until you move out of the house." Even though grandpa wants him there. The arrangement prior to them taking grandpa was that they hired a day care home health aid and my dad was there after work to take care of him after work. Then brothers started fighting amongst themselves and one brother kicks him out by coercing grandpa to say he must move out before they will drive him home. Make sense now? :)
Details are important, thank you. If no one has POA over your grandfather, then call APS as stated in my first reply here. POA is different from guardianship.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">