• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I claim my son on tax return?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tbud333

What is the name of your state? California. My 21 year old son is still living at home and has been working off and on. My question is: Can I still claim him on my taxes as a dependent? What about if he files too?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? California. My 21 year old son is still living at home and has been working off and on. My question is: Can I still claim him on my taxes as a dependent? What about if he files too?
If he was a full time student for 2006 OR if he was not but earned less than 3300.00 for the year, then yes, you can claim him. Otherwise, you cannot. If he is eligible to be your dependent, then he should file his tax return as a "dependent of another".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">