• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

IRS Tax Liens

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

poster

What is the name of your state? Ma.
Can personal propery such as a car be sold (or traded in)if you have an IRS tax lien or does it just apply to real-estate?

thanks
Ma.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Ma.
Can personal propery such as a car be sold (or traded in)if you have an IRS tax lien or does it just apply to real-estate?

thanks
Ma.
It depends....IRS tax liens are very broad on paper, but not necessarily broad in practice. The IRS is more interested in real property and liquid assets. Cars, for the most part don't tend to yield much and therefore the IRS tends not to mess with them much....they also tend to be complicated to attach....and complicated to dispose of, which is another reason why the IRS doesn't mess with them much.

If its a paid off newer Lexus (or any other luxury vehicle)....yes, the IRS is going to be interested. If its an old beater, that still has payments due, or isn't worth much, the IRS is unlikely to care. However, the loan companies absolutely WILL care in terms of granting a new loan, if there is an IRS lien on the person's credit report....so trading in is probably a moot point.

Last edited:

poster

RE:Irs tax Liens

massachusetts

Thanks so much for your replies.
More specificlly --I have an old car(paid off) worth aprox. $1,000 (Blue book) and becoming a money pit. I also have tax lien that will take me about a year to pay off. I need to buy a more dependible vehicle very soon. I just want to legally get rid of it-maybe a trade -in or donation. I am assuming a dealership can't or won't accept is as a trade in?? Could I donate it to a charity?

thanks again

LdiJ

massachusetts

Thanks so much for your replies.
More specificlly --I have an old car(paid off) worth aprox. $1,000 (Blue book) and becoming a money pit. I also have tax lien that will take me about a year to pay off. I need to buy a more dependible vehicle very soon. I just want to legally get rid of it-maybe a trade -in or donation. I am assuming a dealership can't or won't accept is as a trade in?? Could I donate it to a charity?

thanks again
I very much doubt that your 1k beater car will be of any interest to the IRS....or that you will be stopped from trading it in.....however, your IRS liens could easily prevent you from obtaining any financing for another car.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">