• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Taxes: Selling my car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

malmit

What is the name of your state? VA

I am thinking about selling my car to my son in law but have questions on how to do it. If I could then I was just give it to him for free, but I believe there would be gift tax that I would need to pay. Can I sell my car for $1 to him so that no taxes will need to be charged?

Thanks in advanced!
Tim

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? VA

I am thinking about selling my car to my son in law but have questions on how to do it. If I could then I was just give it to him for free, but I believe there would be gift tax that I would need to pay. Can I sell my car for $1 to him so that no taxes will need to be charged?

Thanks in advanced!
Tim
You are allowed to "gift" to any person the amount/value of 12k in a single given year without having to file a gift tax return. Even if you have to file a gift tax return there would be no gift taxes due unless you have already exceeded your lifetime exclusion for gifting of 1 million dollars.

If you sell it to him for something around fair market value then odds are there would be no tax consequences at all...because your basis in the car will always be higher than its fair market value....which is why there is virtually never a tax consequence for selling a car....other than a potential gift consequence if its sold for below market value.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">