• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Warranty on a used car with 180k miles?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

Pat88998899

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

I have an ad in the Want Ad for a 92 Cadillac Eldorado, which has 180k miles on it, fair to good condition, book value about $2200, for $1500 or BO. Everyone that calls tries to talk me way down because of the high mileage. The last person I spoke to said that if I sell it for under $700, a buyer cannot return the car even if it won't get a sticker within 7 days.
I looked up the law and believe it to read that if a car has 125k miles or more (no matter how much you sell it for) OR if you sell it for less than $700, the buyer cannot return the car to you, even if they cannot get a sticker.

Am I interpreting the law correctly?

BlondiePB

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

I have an ad in the Want Ad for a 92 Cadillac Eldorado, which has 180k miles on it, fair to good condition, book value about $2200, for $1500 or BO. Everyone that calls tries to talk me way down because of the high mileage. The last person I spoke to said that if I sell it for under $700, a buyer cannot return the car even if it won't get a sticker within 7 days.
I looked up the law and believe it to read that if a car has 125k miles or more (no matter how much you sell it for) OR if you sell it for less than $700, the buyer cannot return the car to you, even if they cannot get a sticker.

Am I interpreting the law correctly?
Sell the car "As Is" and include that on the bill of sale along with the purchaser being responsible for registration and insurance upon taking delivery.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
And, change your asking price to $2,200 so the $1,500 seems like a deal to the potential buyers ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">