• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

State Cigarette Tax Use

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lizetta

What is the name of your state? Michigan

What is the law on Cigarette Use Tax?
I recieved a Tax Due notice from the State Of Michigan for the years 2005 and 2006.

I purchased from what I thought was an Indian Reservation on the internet. Figuring I was getting "Additive free" at a lower price. Now I have a bill from the State for over $6000 and 35 days to answer them.

Am I liable for this and canI fight it?

I am reposting this in the right forum. Sorry for the error!

Thanks for any help!What is the name of your state?

JETX

Simple answer... you have to pay taxes on any cigarettes purchased without taxes being paid.
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/4096B_effective712004-present_152035_7.pdf

I purchased from what I thought was an Indian Reservation on the internet. Figuring I was getting "Additive free" at a lower price. Now I have a bill from the State for over $6000 and 35 days to answer them.

Am I liable for this
Yep.
For more: http://www.michigan.gov/documents/treasury/TobaccoTaxEnforcementReportltrhead_178062_7.pdf

and canI fight it?
Of course you can... after all that is your right. However, you have NO defense against your purchase made to avoid paying taxes.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I recieved a Tax Due notice from the State Of Michigan for the years 2005 and 2006.

Am I liable for this and canI fight it?

I am reposting this in the right forum. Sorry for the error!

Thanks for any help!What is the name of your state?
You can fight the amount. The state is likely just throwing a figure out there...they probably don't have the data to determine the true amount that you owe.

Determine how many cartons you have purchased, find out what the state tax amount is per carton, and then challenge the amount due.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">