• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Title fraud to avoid sales/property tax

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ozark_Sophist

What is the name of your state? Missouri

Soapbox:
Still peeved at a neighbor for a number of reasons, one of which is his continual stupidity :D and another for him talking to others (neighbors and even my wife) about how dumb I am that I actually pay for a surveyor, real estate attorney, and whatnot.

In addition, we had a shared dumpster (each of the neighbors contribute equal share of $ for rental and dump fees--dumpster in evil neighbor's name). We continued to for pay two months (to the evil neighbor) even after we noticed the dumpster wasn't being dumped--yet they continued piling trash in and around dumpster. Their trash blew across a field and into our yard :mad: . The neighbors said they didn't know why it wasn't being dumped.

Finally called the trash company and found out the bill hadn't been paid in months. We stopped paying and filed a complaint with the trash company to have the dumpster removed. My wife happened to run into the neighbor's wife at the mailbox who said she had called to have the dumpster removed. :confused: .

I wanted to ask for our money back since we didn't the get the use of dumpster for the time we paid, but wife said let it go.​

Anyhow, a few weeks ago the neighbors traded in two cars for two nearly new or new cars. But rather than title in Missouri, which would make the cars subject to sales and property tax, the neighbor titled in Oklahoma.

I'd like to turn them in, but what kind of penalties would they be looking at?

LdiJ

That's a very "local" question. Unless there is someone else here that practices in Missouri, I don't know that we would have the answer. In my state the police could/would cite someone for improper title and registration....but we don't have property taxes on vehicles.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">