• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Closed 401K - Income?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GottaGo

What is the name of your state? NJ
I closed out my 401K in 2006. Will the amount I received be considered as part of my 2006 gross income or will it show somewhere else?

GottaGo

thanks, tranquility, I did actually receive this form. i was just curious as to whether or not this will be considered as part of my gross income. Specifically i wanted to know if it will increase the taxes i will have to pay, of course not forgetting the 10% penalty i will probably have to pay on that specific amount. I did pay taxes on it when i took it out. I am self-employed an concerned about this money throwing me into another tax bracket.

tranquility

Yes you will pay taxes beyond the excise tax penalty. efflandt described where you put the gross distribution and taxable amount portions of the form. The "taxes" you paid were withholding taxes--a prepayment of what you will owe. They are required to be taken out on a distribution which is not a qualified rollover. You won't know how much your actual taxes are until you complete your 1040 (and state return).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">