• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

selling stock - will not probated

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mnl

What is the name of your state? NY
My father died last year. In his will, he left everything to my mother. Because almost all the assets were joint, her attorney advised not to go through the expense of probate. We’ve just located a small amount of stock which was held in his name solely. We’re attempting to change the ownership to my mother and then sell it..
The transfer company wants several forms for the transfer and one of the forms is a waiver of probate. I’m unfamiliar with that form. Is it readily available? Must we work through an attorney to file the form? Does it get filed with a court or just the stock transfer company we’re dealing with? Is there a filing fee? The reason I ask is that there are only a few shares of stock involved. Dealing with an attorney or even having a filing fee may cost more than the stock is worth.

My father resided in NY at the time of his death and my mother still resides in New York

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">