• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Experience and Sex Discrimination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Copette74

Discrimination/**?**? **?*You tell me****

I am located in Ohio and work as a police officer. As an officer I hold the rank as Captain. I have 5yrs road experience and 3 years college experience. I am looked at from all local agencies as an asset and work above any other officer for the exception of Chief in this department.
Although I am Captain-I work for a department w/ the Sgt that is full-time,where I am not full time(on paper) my average work week of 52-60hrs) I receive an hourly rate of $7.49 where Sgt $8.62+ benefits. Sgt has 2 yrs experience total--Only 6 months more time in at this department than I. How can I have more rank, duties, education,experience, and responsibilities but with less wage and benefits? I have been advised by upper management that the money just isn't there to put me full--although the Sgt works 40 hrs where I work 50+> I could go on and on---
To sum it up-Is there a suit to pursue in this case??
Thank you in advance for any assistance....

[Edited by Copette74 on 01-10-2001 at 03:05 PM]

B

buddy2bear

Your pay is probably based on the fact that you are considered part-time. Part-timers "usually" make less than full-time employees. You could read through the Equal Pay Act and see if anything there would apply to you, but you said that you were told "the money just isn't there" to raise your salary. You could also work the part-time schedule and stop giving them all that "free" time. After all, you are supplying them with a full-time Captain for part-time wages -- a deal in their book and therefore no incentive to make any changes in your pay.

C

Copette74

"BUDDY2BEAR"---Thank you for the time and suggestion. I'm looking for all routes to take care of my problem. Any more hints and helpful suggestions are appericated!!!!\

Copette

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">