• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Giving away assets before Nursing home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rosenut

What is the name of your state? AR

My grandmother is hell-bent on giving away the money from the sale of her home to her grown children. She sold it over a year ago and is 85 years old. It won't be long before she will need to go into a nursing home and she has about $50,000. Isn't there a law if you give money away it has to be before so many years before you go into the nursing home? Since my mother is the one who could possibly be responsible for her debts, we'd like to have someone explain this to my grandmother before it's too late. Please recommend some resources that we could use to explain this to her and clairify this "law" or "rule" for me.

thanks,
Sonia

Ozark_Sophist

Does your grandmother have long term care insurance or other means of paying for the nursing home care other than medicaid?

BlondiePB

My grandmother is hell-bent on giving away the money from the sale of her home to her grown children. She sold it over a year ago and is 85 years old. It won't be long before she will need to go into a nursing home and she has about $50,000. Isn't there a law if you give money away it has to be before so many years before you go into the nursing home?
Yes, and since your grandmother needs a nursing home soon it's too late. I was just reading about changes in all this, including how long all states look back on applicants assests.
Since my mother is the one who could possibly be responsible for her debts, we'd like to have someone explain this to my grandmother before it's too late.
Why would your mother be responsible for your grandmother's debts?

seniorjudge

Since my mother is the one who could possibly be responsible for her debts, we'd like to have someone explain this to my grandmother before it's too late.

Sonia, tell ma not to sign anything saying she will be responsible for grandma's debts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">