• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Capital Loss?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

levidenum

What is the name of your state? Oregon

I made an agreement with a Hobby Shop owner, I gave him $10,000, he ordered some items and put them on consignment for me. The agreement was I would get my original money back plus $50 per item sold, if the item sold for more than $50 we were to split the profit 50/50. The owner bought the merchandise, sold all of it and refused to pay me anything. I didn't get my $10,000 back nor any of the profit. I have been trying to contact him for over a year with no response and now his business is closed. Is there anyway I can claim this as a loss on my taxes? If yes, can I claim interest or the attorney fees (for writing letters) as a loss?

Thanks

tranquility

It would not be a capital loss. You may be able to deduct it under different theories, but you are going to need to see a tax professional to go over the requirements. Could it be considered a business? Did you *exaust* all remedies? Things like that. Under certain theories, sending a letter from an attorney to a person or business which is not insolvent is not going to be enough.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">