• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possession of Pot

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

Petey

I live in Florida and am a 22 year old female.

My friend and I were pulled over for DUI. She was driving
and I was the only passenger. We were both drunk. The officer searched my purse without my permission and found 1.5 grams of marijuana. I was arrested for possesion, and they let her (the driver) go. I have a prior arrest at 16 for a small quantity of pot but the case was dropped. Do I need a lawyer at the arainment(sp) and how do I get a public defender if I cannot afford a lawyer. (I am very poor)I don't want to risk losing my D/L for 1 year so should I take the plea offer? Any help will be appreciated.

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Police didn't have to ask your permission to search your bag in this case for a number of reasons like DUI, when he stops a car, he can ask to have you step out, he can search the vehicle and passenger purse, etc.

PD will be assigned to you at arraignment. Also, see if they diversion programs that allow you to get the charges dismissed after a year or so if you stay clean and out of trouble and enter certain programs. If not, see what type of plea d.a. can give you

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">