• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

back child support tax offset program

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

article26

What is the name of your state? PA

hi, a year ago I fell behind in child support after a injury and owe arrears, I've been basically playing catch up. Im not complaining about my payments or what I owe in back support, I have every intention to pay but my question is this. I have another child who lives with me, If I claim her do they take the entire check refund or distribute part to my other children and leave me with some to help with for the one at home. I know there is a form for an injured spouse where they give the injured spouse a portion but what about injured/innocent children. Thanks for your help.

moburkes

hi, a year ago I fell behind in child support after a injury and owe arrears, I've been basically playing catch up. Im not complaining about my payments or what I owe in back support, I have every intention to pay but my question is this. I have another child who lives with me, If I claim her do they take the entire check refund or distribute part to my other children and leave me with some to help with for the one at home. I know there is a form for an injured spouse where they give the injured spouse a portion but what about injured/innocent children. Thanks for your help.
I don't have the anwer to your question, but instead of waiting for a refund check, why don't you claim more exemptions so that you can have a larger paycheck each week?

LdiJ

Unless you are married, and your spouse files an injured spouse form to get back his/her share of the refund, they are going to take all of it towards back support...or at least whatever it takes to cover your back support.

This is not as bad a think as you are making it. The faster your arrearages get paid off, the less you will pay in interest.

However, you can adjust your withholding or get advance EIC so that less is withheld from your regular paycheck. However, that isn't always the wisest thing to do economically. Generally the monthly amounts that you are ordered to pay towards arrearages don't cover much more than the interest, if they even cover that.

article26

thanks for the replies, after reviewing my situation I do not think it will be much of an issue anyway. Im considered self-employed and usually owe so the irs gets first dibs on any credit anyway. As far as interest goes, there is no current interest imposed on child support arrears in pa.

I know most people dont sympathize with men who owe child support, but there is a difference between those who refuse to pay and those who fall on hard times. Thanks for not giving me any hassles about my situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">