• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DEFINITION of Qualifying Period?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

himiko

What is the name of your state? No State.
I have been through the IRS site and other searches trying to find a definition of “qualifying period.” For someone who has worked and resided continuously in a foreign country for many years, is the qualifying period for foreign earned income the whole year (365 days) even if during the year the individual takes a ten-day vacation to the US?

tranquility

The best description, with examples, is in the Regulations at 1.911-2. Do a google search for:

irs reg sec 1.911-2

and choose the one which best fits your question.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? No State.
I have been through the IRS site and other searches trying to find a definition of “qualifying period.” For someone who has worked and resided continuously in a foreign country for many years, is the qualifying period for foreign earned income the whole year (365 days) even if during the year the individual takes a ten-day vacation to the US?
Its the whole year. A 10 day vacation to the US does not interrupt your foreign residency.

himiko

Thank you both very much for your information. I found the section to which tranquility referred and it verified what LdiJ stated.
I appreciate your replies to my question.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">