• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

who claims the mortgage with 4 people?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

themelliotts

What is the name of your state? NH

Hi Everyone. This is my first time on this site, so if I'm in the wrong place, just let me know! I was wondering if anybody knew how we would go about claiming the house (two-family) if both my husband and I co-own it with my brother and his wife. We both live there, so it would not be a case of renting it for income.

thanks!

seniorjudge

Generally, the person(s) who are legally obligated to make the mortgage payments AND who do in fact make the mortgage payments can take the deduction.

However, I am NOT a tax attorney.

Stand by for further opinions.

nextwife

What is the name of your state? NH

Hi Everyone. This is my first time on this site, so if I'm in the wrong place, just let me know! I was wondering if anybody knew how we would go about claiming the house (two-family) if both my husband and I co-own it with my brother and his wife. We both live there, so it would not be a case of renting it for income.

thanks!
Presumably each couple owns and pays half the mortgage? Half the property taxes?

themelliotts

Thanks to both of you for your replies...yes, both couples are equally obligated legally to the mortgage loan and pay the property taxes through an escrow account within the loan. When filing, I was wondering how we would go about claiming the house? Would it be split between both parties equally each year or would one couple claim fully one year while the other couple claims nothing and then vise versa the following year? This is our first year owning and I want to make sure we're doing things correctly. thanks!

LdiJ

Thanks to both of you for your replies...yes, both couples are equally obligated legally to the mortgage loan and pay the property taxes through an escrow account within the loan. When filing, I was wondering how we would go about claiming the house? Would it be split between both parties equally each year or would one couple claim fully one year while the other couple claims nothing and then vise versa the following year? This is our first year owning and I want to make sure we're doing things correctly. thanks!
You simply split the mortgage interest and property taxes in half, and each couple claims their share.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">