• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Home Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ellie-wi

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

My elderly mother owns her own home. She has a "friend" living with her. The friend chips in and pays towards utility bills, food, etc. Since the house is paid for there is no monthly mortgage payment. He has been living there for over two years now. She tells us that we just need to give him time to find other living arrangements, but we are worried he would try to stay in the house and possibly claim the house as his. My question is if my mother passes away before her friend, does the friend have any legal rights to the house?

seniorjudge

Q: My question is if my mother passes away before her friend, does the friend have any legal rights to the house?

A: Not unless ma gives him legal rights to the house.

GatorLaw

If you are this concerned, talk to your mother about making a will. Lawyers are good at those! According to your post though, assuming they don't marry, then no, he won't have any claim to the house.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">