• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My liability is 3x the average? Really?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

janeshmane

What is the name of your state?

IL

I'm finishing up my taxes on Turbo Tax and as I ran through their "comparison to national averages" tool I saw a really troubling statistic.
According to them, my tax liability was around $25,000 while the average in my bracket was just under $7,000! How can this be? I thought I was being pretty generous to myself with my deductions (I'm self-employed, work from home) but clearly I am missing something. Any ideas on what could explain this huge discrepancy?
Thanks in advance.

tranquility

Statistics are descriptions of a group and are can be used to make predictions. When you have an acutal case, you need the specific facts. Are you seriously asking how there can be a variation in tax liablity between all filers and you without providing your facts?

janeshmane

No, I just felt like complaining, that's all. How are people keeping their liability so low? Must be some very charitable folks out there.

Some Random Guy

Main guesses for the disparity of tax liability.

1. Most of the people in your tax bracket are near the bottom of the bracket.
2. Many high income individuals are entrepreneurs or business owners whose gross income is vastly different than net.
3. Many people are unlucky enough to have catastrophic health issues that will lower their tax burden.
4. Maybe you contribue less than average to your 401K.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">