• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unpaid income taxes.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jjamuse

What is the name of your state? Michigan:

I have not paid state income taxes in 3 years. What penalties can I expect to incur, and can I just file forms and submit payment for the years I have not filed?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Michigan:

I have not paid state income taxes in 3 years. What penalties can I expect to incur, and can I just file forms and submit payment for the years I have not filed?
What you need to do is get the tax returns prepared so that you know what you are looking at. Its possible that you would have had a refund rather than would owe.

jjamuse

LdiJ,
Thanks for the info, I will do this by april 17 as that is the filing date for MI this year. I was "told" that there are no penalties as long as you are no more than 3 years back. Either way, I need to get this straightened out before it becomes a real problem if it hasn't already.
Thanks again.

LdiJ

LdiJ,
Thanks for the info, I will do this by april 17 as that is the filing date for MI this year. I was "told" that there are no penalties as long as you are no more than 3 years back. Either way, I need to get this straightened out before it becomes a real problem if it hasn't already.
Thanks again.

I doubt that you were "told" correctly. I don't practice in MI but I am not aware of any state that allows you to file past the original deadline (if you owe tax rather than are due a refund) without penalty and interest. However its pretty much standard that no penalty is due if you are due a refund.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">