• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Denied for short term due to weight.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

4wheeldodge

What is the name of your state? Texas. I have been denied short term disability because of my weight. My current weight is 275 lbs. I am 6'-0" and have a large build. I was told that I must drop to 200 lbs. and hold that weight for 1 year before I would be eligable for coverage. With my size and height, this does not seem healthy or feasable. Is there anything I can do as this sounds like discrimination? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, David

moburkes

Insurance by its very nature is discriminatory. People with cancer have a hard time getting life insurance, people with bad driving records pay more for auto insurance, people who live farther away from a water source pay more for homeowner's insurance, people who are pregnant can't by individual medical insurance, etc, etc.

moburkes

I still don't believe it. I'm 275 and have health insurance, life insurance and insurance on everything I have, own and steal.
You're silly. However, is your disability benefits policy an individual policy? Those are hard to obtain. I used to sell them.

BelizeBreeze

You're silly. However, is your disability benefits policy an individual policy? Those are hard to obtain. I used to sell them.
Sweetie, I pay more in insurance premiums (especially on the Sir Alfred J. Munnings trio hanging in the hallway) than I used to pay for a year's rent......

I don't know for sure, but I think I even have insurance on "harvey's" dingy. :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">