• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Police Slander while case pending

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tud56

I was stopped on a bogus traffic violation. The cop just wanted to stop me because I have a nice car, it was after midnight(I just got off work at 11 pm) and I had 2 other people in the car with me or I have friends that have been arrested and convicted of drug charges. He followed me for about 1 1/2 miles then flipped on his lights. He said it was because I was driving down the wrong side of the road. I have 2 other witnesses that so that is not true and myself. I went through voluntarily and did a blow test for alchohol content, came out zero because I had not drank anything then I did the horizontal and vertical pen/eye movement then I had to stand on one foot with the other foot 6 inches in front of me off of the ground and count to 30. I passed all of them. I have never been arrested for anything in my life. Anyway, he then proceeded to ask if he could search the car and myself. I asked him why is this necessary, I have done everything you have asked and passed. He said because you look suspicious. WHY? No answer. He proceeds to call a female officer so she can search me. One of the persons in my car is wanted on a warrant so they arrest him. Then the cop says well I guess we can search your car now. Is that right? Then when the female cop comes and is patting me down I turn away and she grabs me then the next thing I know I have 3 cops on me and I am being handcuffed and charged with interference. I am only about 140 lbs. I am not a violent person and I realize that they have to be careful because some people do carry guns. I am from this small town, born and raised here and have lived here nearly 40 years. Anyway, I later get charged with possession of a controlled substance and prohibited acts. Alls they found was maybe some residue from something already smoke, which might not have been mine and some paraphenelia and scale. They try and get me to name someone I tell them I do not know what they are talking about and they get mad and tell me they are seizing my car. It has been almost a week and I have not got my car back and also I had some money they took. It is in the hands of the county attorney now and they do not know what they are going to do next.
Well to try and finish this the arresting cop lives next door to someone I work with they are chums and the cop told this person that if anybody where I work does drugs that I am supplying them. I have not been convicted of anything and I sure do not sell so wouldn't this be slander? Please help. I have hired a lawyer, but I guess I want some other opinions about some of this. Thanks

racer72

You are what is known as guilty by association. Slander is when someone spreads rumors about you that are not true. This is not slander. The paraphanlia was all that was needed for needed for a possesion charge, it is just as illegal to be in possesion of pipes and scales as the drug. And when the guy with warrants was arrested, this gave the police the right to search your vehicle. You also need to check your state laws about vehicle seizure. In my state vehicles can be held for up to 90 days. But my state supreme court overturned part of the siezure law. Just being charged in not enough to lose your car, you must be convicted before property can be siezed. The info your co-worker gave the cop may be all that was required for the stop to happen in the first place. While he was following you he was probably running your plates and a backround check.

desire29

I am not a lawyer but almost this same situation happened to me back in august 2006. Me and my boyfriend were fighting, cops were called, they asked to search and I tyold them no so they put me under arrest for disorderly conduct searched my car and found drugs. It is now january 2007 and I still dont have my car and they never charged me with the drugs. I called an attorney and he advised me to demand my car back so I did them I get a call from a detective saying they are keeping my car and they are going to charge me with the drugs, this was over a month ago. The cops can do whatever they want, they are dirty. The sheriffs are going around my town and telling everyone that I am a drug dealer when I am not. There isnt anything I can do about it either. Good luck to you hopefully you have better luck than I have had. I am a single mother with 3 little girls and I am vehicless. It sucks!! If you here about anything that can be done please let me know, I have searched the internet for hours and hours trying to find a solution and I just seem to go know were fast. Good Luck Trina!!

racer72

Did you happen to notice this thread was 6 years old and that the OP is no longer a member? Talk about reviving the dead.

stephenk

single mom with 3 kids getting in argument with a guy that is so noisy/physical that the police have to be called and then drugs found in the car. Now you are complaining that the police are corrupt. Boo hoo hoo.

Wake up girl. Time to think about your kids and not yourself. get off the crack/pot/coke/heroin, use the money you spend on drugs to take care of your kids and buy a bus pass.

2901bruce

I was stopped on a bogus traffic violation. The cop just wanted to stop me because I have a nice car, it was after midnight(I just got off work at 11 pm) and I had 2 other people in the car with me or I have friends that have been arrested and convicted of drug charges. He followed me for about 1 1/2 miles then flipped on his lights. He said it was because I was driving down the wrong side of the road. I have 2 other witnesses that so that is not true and myself. I went through voluntarily and did a blow test for alchohol content, came out zero because I had not drank anything then I did the horizontal and vertical pen/eye movement then I had to stand on one foot with the other foot 6 inches in front of me off of the ground and count to 30. I passed all of them. I have never been arrested for anything in my life. Anyway, he then proceeded to ask if he could search the car and myself. I asked him why is this necessary, I have done everything you have asked and passed. He said because you look suspicious. WHY? No answer. He proceeds to call a female officer so she can search me. One of the persons in my car is wanted on a warrant so they arrest him. Then the cop says well I guess we can search your car now. Is that right? Then when the female cop comes and is patting me down I turn away and she grabs me then the next thing I know I have 3 cops on me and I am being handcuffed and charged with interference. I am only about 140 lbs. I am not a violent person and I realize that they have to be careful because some people do carry guns. I am from this small town, born and raised here and have lived here nearly 40 years. Anyway, I later get charged with possession of a controlled substance and prohibited acts. Alls they found was maybe some residue from something already smoke, which might not have been mine and some paraphenelia and scale. They try and get me to name someone I tell them I do not know what they are talking about and they get mad and tell me they are seizing my car. It has been almost a week and I have not got my car back and also I had some money they took. It is in the hands of the county attorney now and they do not know what they are going to do next.
Well to try and finish this the arresting cop lives next door to someone I work with they are chums and the cop told this person that if anybody where I work does drugs that I am supplying them. I have not been convicted of anything and I sure do not sell so wouldn't this be slander? Please help. I have hired a lawyer, but I guess I want some other opinions about some of this. Thanks
Well let's see... Outstanding Warrants, Drug Residue, Illegal Drug Hardware, Scale for weighing Drugs, and Cash. If I were a cop, I would say that you & your friends are... DRUGGIES!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">