• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

single or double family home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

crumb

What is the name of your state? UT

I am doing some work on my house that has a downstairs apartment. It is currently zoned in a single family area and shows up as a single family home but might be able to be grandfathered as a duplex. On the permit forms I am filling out they want me to declare what it is(either 1 or 2 family). If 2 family then they will investigate to decide whether it can be grandfathered.
My question is: if I choose to select 2 family then will I have to wait til it is decided by the city to be grandfathered or not before I can get the permits for my house?
Also, how do I decide what to declare as the value of the improvements on the house?

lcannister

If 2 family then they will investigate to decide whether it can be grandfathered.
would that be fraud knowing it is a single family home?

My question is: if I choose to select 2 family then will I have to wait til it is decided by the city to be grandfathered or not before I can get the permits for my house?
would it not be more prucent to ask this question of the governing body?

Also, how do I decide what to declare as the value of the improvements on the house?
mmmm how about the cost of the improvements??

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">