• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Threat to call the cops on a drug charge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JDub83

What is the name of your state? PA
I have sister who's boyfriend is in the works to be a probation officer. They live in the state of Indiana.
He has threatened to call the cops in my local township to tell them about an alleged drug possesion.

Here is why he says he has for proof to convict me. In an AOL Instant Messanger conversation that he saved I admitted to him that in my life I have smoked marijuana.
My sister told her bf that drugs were present when she was at my place one night. That was a couple of people who showed up, and I didn't really want that around my place for risk of getting in trouble with the law. They left soon after showing up. I'm not into parties with drugs. I stick to alcohol which is legal.

He continually threatens to call the cops. Remember all this came up after a disagreement we had and I told him I'd go to my parents with my concerns about him. That sounds high school I know, but he was riding me about stuff non-stop and that whole thing is a long-story that is beside the point.

Basically I want to know if this guy has a case based on what he has?
He tells me that I've admitted to use and that alone will put my "...butt in jail..."
I highly doubt this would happen, but I figured I'd play it safe and do some research on this.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

BelizeBreeze

Go to the local smoke shop, buy rolling papers and some Gambler rollable tobacco, roll one that looks like a joynt and then go to this jerk, blow some sweet smelling smoke in his face and tell him he's welcome to call anyone he wants. just be damn sure he's doing so because he has proof otherwise, expect a call from your attorney and a formal complaint for filing a false police report sent to his hiring authority.

JDub83

Clarification

HAHA, I like your idea.
I just want to be clear on the fact that he doesn't have the necessary evidence to actually warrant an arrest or search of my place?

CdwJava

JDub83 said:
Basically I want to know if this guy has a case based on what he has?
He tells me that I've admitted to use and that alone will put my "...butt in jail..."
I highly doubt this would happen, but I figured I'd play it safe and do some research on this.
By itself, no, there is not enough for a conviction. Even if he calls the cop and says you have some marijuana on your kitchen table, the chances are the cops are not going to assemble a crew to go hit your crib.

If sis and her boyfriend go to the cops and say you're slinging dope, they can use sis's observations and the IM as supporting evidence in an affidavit in an attempt to obtain a search warrant. However, unless they think you are dealing or providing dope to kids, I doubt the cops are going to care too much.

In my state your admission of prior use is not at all likely to result in a visit from the police.

- Carl

JDub83

One more thing

Thanks for that help.
Now I've had talks with my roomate about this. Should I go ahead and tell this guy to go ahead and do his thing? Or just leave it alone. I mean it sounds like he probably wouldn't get anywhere. I would love to call his bluff on this one, or at least call his lack of knowledge of the legal system.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">