• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Tax credit confusion

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

royco

What is the name of your state? California

When i was with my tax preparer last year he told me that you can claim for Child tax credit only once. (I believe this is the $1000 per child he was talking about) So I did not claim it for taxable year 2005.

My friend who went to a different preparer told me that you can claim the child tax credit every year.

So which is correct? Im scheduled to go to the tax preparer next week for 2006

Im a total newbie on these things and they just refer to the $1000 per child as child tax credit. Im not sure if thats what it really is.

Thanks

Roy

aarontran

The child tax credit could be claim every year, but to be eligible for the tax credit, it is base on your tax liability.

FLMommy

What is the name of your state? California

When i was with my tax preparer last year he told me that you can claim for Child tax credit only once. (I believe this is the $1000 per child he was talking about) So I did not claim it for taxable year 2005.

My friend who went to a different preparer told me that you can claim the child tax credit every year.

So which is correct? Im scheduled to go to the tax preparer next week for 2006

Im a total newbie on these things and they just refer to the $1000 per child as child tax credit. Im not sure if thats what it really is.

Thanks

Roy
Go to your friend's tax preparer...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">