• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Aunt Incapacitated and Dying - Trying to Help My Mom

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WorPhenom

What is the name of your state? CA

First of all, I don't even know if I'm in the right area! If not, please refer me to the correct section here on freeadvice.com - THANK YOU.

I am trying to get info to help my mother out. My aunt was admitted to the hospital last Thursday 2/8, taken there by her boyfriend. Her boyfriend called my mother on Sunday 2/11 to let her know that her sister was in the hospital, and my mother has been there ever since and claimed by the hospital to be my aunt's "next of kin". Bottom line, my aunt is dying - she was an alcoholic, and now has cyrhosis of the liver, with zero liver functionality and only 5-10% functionality of her brain, according to the doctors, and has only days, if not hours, of life. My mother is trying her best to determine how to take the next steps needed for my aunt, while trying to cope with the fact that her sister is quickly dying. My aunt MAY have been on SSI, as she's had polio her entire life and is a disabled person. My mother is clueless on the medical and legal steps needed, as am I, but she's asking me to help her get info.

Basically, the hospital has told my mother that she needs to decide what to do, in the even that my aunt lives past the next week, as she can't just live in the hospital. Does my mom need to first seek conservatorship/guardianship with the courts, to proceed with handling any of my aunt's affairs (financial, medical, etc)? What is that process, and how long does it take (keeping in mind that my aunt may die at any moment).

My mother's concern is that she doesn't want my aunt's boyfriend to be in charge of handling anything, and doesn't want just anyone making decisions on my aunt's behalf. My aunt was sick for 2 MONTHS before her boyfriend did anything, waiting until my aunt was swollen and delirious before calling 911, and continued to provide her with liquor up until she was taken to the hospital. My aunt's bank card is missing, and it's believed that her boyfriend has it (he denies it), but atm receipts found in my aunt's purse showed she had some money in her account right before she was admitted to the hospital, but today her balance is ZERO. My grandmother (who is also an alcoholic, coincidentally?) and her husband live in Louisiana, and claim to have a life insurance policy on my aunt, so we're counting on that to plan for my aunt's funeral. Some of her liver functionality may have been saved if she'd gotten to the hospital sooner. Now if she does happen to live, she will need hospice care in possibly a nursing home.

My mother doesn't know what she needs to do to ensure that she will be able to take care of my aunt and all her affairs LEGALLY.

I know I'm rambling, but I'm just as confused by all this, and want to be able to help my mom take care of my aunt and her affairs.

ANY help and advice is appreciated!!!

Thank you

BelizeBreeze

Your mother needs either the court to appoint her as guardian or if your aunt is competent, to have her sign a Power of attorney.

BlondiePB

What is the name of your state? CA

First of all, I don't even know if I'm in the right area! If not, please refer me to the correct section here on freeadvice.com - THANK YOU.

I am trying to get info to help my mother out. My aunt was admitted to the hospital last Thursday 2/8, taken there by her boyfriend. Her boyfriend called my mother on Sunday 2/11 to let her know that her sister was in the hospital, and my mother has been there ever since and claimed by the hospital to be my aunt's "next of kin". Bottom line, my aunt is dying - she was an alcoholic, and now has cyrhosis of the liver, with zero liver functionality and only 5-10% functionality of her brain, according to the doctors, and has only days, if not hours, of life. My mother is trying her best to determine how to take the next steps needed for my aunt, while trying to cope with the fact that her sister is quickly dying. My aunt MAY have been on SSI, as she's had polio her entire life and is a disabled person. My mother is clueless on the medical and legal steps needed, as am I, but she's asking me to help her get info.

Basically, the hospital has told my mother that she needs to decide what to do, in the even that my aunt lives past the next week, as she can't just live in the hospital. Does my mom need to first seek conservatorship/guardianship with the courts, to proceed with handling any of my aunt's affairs (financial, medical, etc)? What is that process, and how long does it take (keeping in mind that my aunt may die at any moment).

My mother's concern is that she doesn't want my aunt's boyfriend to be in charge of handling anything, and doesn't want just anyone making decisions on my aunt's behalf. My aunt was sick for 2 MONTHS before her boyfriend did anything, waiting until my aunt was swollen and delirious before calling 911, and continued to provide her with liquor up until she was taken to the hospital. My aunt's bank card is missing, and it's believed that her boyfriend has it (he denies it), but atm receipts found in my aunt's purse showed she had some money in her account right before she was admitted to the hospital, but today her balance is ZERO. My grandmother (who is also an alcoholic, coincidentally?) and her husband live in Louisiana, and claim to have a life insurance policy on my aunt, so we're counting on that to plan for my aunt's funeral. Some of her liver functionality may have been saved if she'd gotten to the hospital sooner. Now if she does happen to live, she will need hospice care in possibly a nursing home.

My mother doesn't know what she needs to do to ensure that she will be able to take care of my aunt and all her affairs LEGALLY.

I know I'm rambling, but I'm just as confused by all this, and want to be able to help my mom take care of my aunt and her affairs.

ANY help and advice is appreciated!!!

Thank you
The hospital administrator can provide your mother with necessary papers to take to the court to have your mother appointed Health Care Surrogate/Proxy for your aunt. These situations are taken to a judge right away. Also have your mother fill out papers for an emergency plenary guardian. Your aunt needs to go directly to a nursing home from the hospital and needs to be enrolled in Hospice now. If your aunt is highly medicated and/or incompetent, having aunt sign a POA will not be a valid POA and be contested.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">