• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Past drug charges/ career dilemma

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mistakemaker

What is the name of your state? Illinois

Just over ten years ago, I was arrested. There were three charges (all misdemeanors): Reckless Conduct, Possession of Marijuana (less than 2.5 grams), and possession of Drug Paraphernalia. The Reckless Conduct and Possesion of Marijuana were granted supervision- The Paraphernalia charge was a conviction. All fines were paid / supervision was completed and I have not had any trouble since. Yet, Here I am ten years later, really starting to feel the burn.

After plenty of soul searching, and seven years working after college, I have finally figured out what I want to do with my life. I want to be a teacher. It is my understanding that a person who has a drug related charge cannot teach in the state of IL. Are there any ways to get around this? I have read about expunging or sealing my record but am not 100% clear whether or not this is applicable to my situation. Thanks in advance to any that can help.

smutlydog

What is the name of your state? Illinois

Just over ten years ago, I was arrested. There were three charges (all misdemeanors): Reckless Conduct, Possession of Marijuana (less than 2.5 grams), and possession of Drug Paraphernalia. The Reckless Conduct and Possesion of Marijuana were granted supervision- The Paraphernalia charge was a conviction. All fines were paid / supervision was completed and I have not had any trouble since. Yet, Here I am ten years later, really starting to feel the burn.

After plenty of soul searching, and seven years working after college, I have finally figured out what I want to do with my life. I want to be a teacher. It is my understanding that a person who has a drug related charge cannot teach in the state of IL. Are there any ways to get around this? I have read about expunging or sealing my record but am not 100% clear whether or not this is applicable to my situation. Thanks in advance to any that can help.
It is my understanding that a person who has a drug related charge cannot teach in the state of IL.
Are you absolutely sure? Usually every district has its own policy but many states do allow even felons to teach. It all depends on the nature of the crime and how much time has elapsed. You might be confusing your districts policy with that of the state.

Betty

I live in Il. & the Il. school code indicates a criminal background check will be done for certification & employment as a teacher in Il. (public & private schools) Cert. & employment may be denied for conviction of certain felonies, incl. sex, drugs, & narcotics convictions.

mistakemaker

Thanks for the quick responses Smutly and Betty. I suppose I'll just have to do a little more digging to find out whether or not expungement/sealing will help any. Anyways, thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">