• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

chemical exposures

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mmaya

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

My question is about accidental exposure to toxic chemicals at work. I am a chemist at a specialty chemical manufacturing plant. The other day, I spilled thiophenol on my ungloved hand. Being a chemist, I was aware of the toxicity of the compound and the measures to take when exposed to it. My boss (the owner's son) walked in as I was washing the exposed area and asked me what was wrong. I told him and he said in a very short, rude tone that it was my own fault and walked away. I am well aware that since I spilled the chemical, I was at fault. I had no intention of pursuing a lawsuit or any other such drastic measure. However, I found his attitute appalling. The MSDS clearly states that one should seek medical care after skin exposure. Even though I did not feel that I was injured to an extent which would require me to leave work or see a doctor, shouldn't he have asked me if I wanted to see a doctor? Does the fact that the accident was "my own fault" limit the company's liabilty to provide medical care? What are my rights and responsibilities in case I am ever involved in a more serious chemical exposure?

xylene

Your boss was no doubt upset that you had been handling the chemicals without the needed protection.

I think you should talk to your boss about what happened now that the immediate situation is over.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">