• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

a civil rights violation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rpc

I am interested in some legal advice concerning the rights of my son during an arrest in which no charges were filed. Last winter (Jan. '00) my son (a freshman at S.U.N.Y Plattsburg) was arrested by Plattsburg City Police (New York) for "disturbing the peace" I think it was...he was taken to the police station and strip- searched (after being thrown to the ground and nearly choked to death by a very large policeman)and held overnight. He was released the next day and no charges were filed. I do have a copy of the police report somewhere and he has always said that there were several witnesses. He came home (withdrew from the University there)soon after that. We never pursued this matter of what was clearly, I think, a case of police brutality and a violation of his civil rights. Why? Primarily because we live in Ohio, 12 hours from this town, and figured it'd just be too expensive. But I've never felt good about just letting it go and, for my own peace of mind, would love to know what we could've done to have more completely supported our son in seeking justice for being treated this way. If you have any legal information, I would appreciate it. Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">