• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Several Charges, First Offense

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vesper

What is the name of your state? Connecticut

Juvenile Arrest
Charges: DRUG PARAPHERNALIA
UNAUTH POSS OF CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES: < 4OZ MARIJU
PUBLIC POSS OF LIQUOR BY MINOR
OPERATION WHILE UNDER THE INFLUENCE LIQUOR/DRUGS
DRUG, ALCOHOL, AND HEARING TESTS

I don't know what to do. Last night I was driving around with my friends and got pulled over, and then I got arrested with all of these charges. This is my first offense. The drug paraphernalia was mine, the liquor I had purchased but it was a 30 pack entirely sealed. I refused to take the drug test because I didn't have to urinate and the officer said he was going to hold me in the cell until I did it, so I just said I would refuse.

None of the drugs were mine, the weed all belonged to my friends. I don't believe I was under the influence either (I didn't drink any alcohol, so the convinction must be of drugs). I don't know how they could prove I was without any evidence. I was pulled over because my headlight was out, not because of reckless driving. My court date is tomorrow so I've had no time to prepare, so I really don't know what to do at all.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What have your parents said about this? They may want to hire a lawyer for you. However, you're going to have to be honest with them, and with the lawyer.

vesper

My parents are shocked. I've never even received a detention before this. I have straight A's in all honors classes at my high school (two AP classes, too), I'm a member of NHS, and I've just been a good kid. I've been completely honest with my parents, but we don't have a lawyer yet.

AlanShore

My parents are shocked. I've never even received a detention before this. I have straight A's in all honors classes at my high school (two AP classes, too), I'm a member of NHS, and I've just been a good kid. I've been completely honest with my parents, but we don't have a lawyer yet.
Always the good quiet kids that surprise you**************.

Hire a lawyer. And do it quick. I am guessing tomorrow is your arraignment. Plead not guilty and hope your lawyer can work on a deal for you.

vesper

I think I'm going to plead not guilty and ask for more time. They are going to offer me a plea bargain, but I don't want to have anything on my record. What are the risks of pleading not guilty versus no contest or accepting the plea bargain? I don't know the consequences for any of these actions, and I'd like to have some idea of what to do if I can't get a lawyer.

Also, does it matter if the alcohol was opened or not? The case was fully sealed if the law says anything about that. Also, this is a juvenile case if that makes any difference about what I should do.

Last edited:

AlanShore

Well theres an awfully numerous amount of charges to get them totally wiped off your record. Your going to end up with something on there. Hopefully in a few years you could have your record sealed. See what the DA offers you, ask for more time to consult an attorney.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I think I'm going to plead not guilty and ask for more time. They are going to offer me a plea bargain, but I don't want to have anything on my record. What are the risks of pleading not guilty versus no contest or accepting the plea bargain? I don't know the consequences for any of these actions, and I'd like to have some idea of what to do if I can't get a lawyer.
One should be assigned for you.

Also, does it matter if the alcohol was opened or not? The case was fully sealed if the law says anything about that. Also, this is a juvenile case if that makes any difference about what I should do.
Let me rephrase your question and the answer will be obvious:
Q: I had a case of alcohol in my possession and I was charged with possession by a minor. Was I actually in possession of it?
A: .....

Well, the answer to that one is obvious.

vesper

OK thanks for clearing that up. I heard that my record will be expunged when I turn 18. Is that just a myth, the truth, or is it only true in some cases? Even if everything gets erased when I turn 18, will this still affect me in the long run?

I think pleading not guilty is the way to go, I'm guessing taking an alcohol/drug course won't be enough.

vesper

OK I went to court today. I have to take a Drug Education course and which involves 32 hours community service, but I think after completing that the charges will be dropped. I think my license is suspended until I complete the course and probation, does this seem standard for a first time youthful offender?

Bretagne

What exactly do the court minutes say from your court appearance? I'm wondering if you got some sort of first-time offender diversion. If so, then your record should be clear after you successfully complete all your conditions. Did you get a sentencing order? Did you have to go talk to corrections (give your info to a probation officer?)

No way to say what is "standard" about your sentence, and the more imporant issue is what happened with your case procedurally.

vesper

I did have to talk to a probation officer, and all I know is that I have another court date on March 13th to see if I meet the requirements for the program (If I've never taken the program before and this is my first offense then I think I do meet the requirements). It sounds like all of the charges will get dropped as long as I complete the program, but will this affect my insurance rates? Also, will my license be suspended during this time? The police station has my license now and said I could go pick it up 24 hours after my arrest, so my guess is that I'll still be able to drive and my insurance won't go up (of course my parents won't let me drive, but legally I think I'm allowed to).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">