• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Scholarship Taxes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lakeview12

Massachusetts

Hi, I am a college student with a scholarship which covers tuition, room, and food. In addition to this I work maybe 6 days a month and this year I was also awarded a multi thousand dollar scholarship for research I am doing. I was doing my taxes and this year I owe over $2700!! In the past it has been no more then $1500 but that was without the research scholarship I received. My research has shown me that only tuition and things required by the school are deductible and everything else is considered income. For the full tuition scholarship the money is not dispensed to my bank account, instead the school just waives any bills I have. The research scholarship was a check made out to me. Is there any way I can somehow get taxed less money?

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">