• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

claiming a dependent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jorjen9804

What is the name of your state? TX

A friend of mine claimed his partner on his 2005 tax return. He asked the IRS if he would be able to and they said he could since he payed for more than 50% of his expenses for 2005. They are not together anymore, but now he is saying he did not give him permission to claim him and is threatening to pursue legal action. Was my friend in the wrong for claiming him? Is this considered identity theft?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? TX

A friend of mine claimed his partner on his 2005 tax return. He asked the IRS if he would be able to and they said he could since he payed for more than 50% of his expenses for 2005. They are not together anymore, but now he is saying he did not give him permission to claim him and is threatening to pursue legal action. Was my friend in the wrong for claiming him? Is this considered identity theft?
Its not necessarily a question of "permission". If the partner lived in his home for the entire year, and had less than 3300.00 in income, then your friend was allowed to claim him as a dependent.

No, it is not identity theft, and no, your friend really didn't need his permission.

However, if he made more than 3300.00 in income or did not live with him the entire year, then its a problem.

Just exactly how was the partner harmed by your friend claiming him? How does he claim that it damaged him?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">