• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Indiana extortion

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DEDE 8

What is the name of your state? Indiana and PA

I was contacted in 2005 by Indiana, saying I owed $600 for taxes from 25 years ago. I had moved probably 20 times in that period, and received no prior notice, but have lived at my current address for 16 years. They refused to show me any details of the problem (for example, they only said there was a clerical error on the return, but said they had no documentation to prove it).

Okay, so they had a tax amnesty period, and told me if I paid the tax amount, which was only $82, they would forgive the rest. I paid the amount in November of 2005, and wrote "payment in full" on the check. A collection agency contacted me, and I told them this, but this week there was a levy against my bank account, and they took $600!!

I called Indiana DOR, and nasty agent Kim Smith said that they "misapplied my payment" but they didn't "make a mistake". She will not send any money back, but she said $250 was owed instead of $600.

WOW - So, if anything was owed from 25 years ago, doesn't the statute of limitations control? The feds can only go back 10 years. They obviously made a mistake here, how do I know the original problem wasn't another mistake of theirs? Can I sue them in Pennsylvania? Is there anyone to complain to in Indiana that will care or resolve?

ThanksWhat is the name of your state?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Indiana and PA

I was contacted in 2005 by Indiana, saying I owed $600 for taxes from 25 years ago. I had moved probably 20 times in that period, and received no prior notice, but have lived at my current address for 16 years. They refused to show me any details of the problem (for example, they only said there was a clerical error on the return, but said they had no documentation to prove it).

Okay, so they had a tax amnesty period, and told me if I paid the tax amount, which was only $82, they would forgive the rest. I paid the amount in November of 2005, and wrote "payment in full" on the check. A collection agency contacted me, and I told them this, but this week there was a levy against my bank account, and they took $600!!

I called Indiana DOR, and nasty agent Kim Smith said that they "misapplied my payment" but they didn't "make a mistake". She will not send any money back, but she said $250 was owed instead of $600.

WOW - So, if anything was owed from 25 years ago, doesn't the statute of limitations control? The feds can only go back 10 years. They obviously made a mistake here, how do I know the original problem wasn't another mistake of theirs? Can I sue them in Pennsylvania? Is there anyone to complain to in Indiana that will care or resolve?

ThanksWhat is the name of your state?
Try the Indiana Taxpayer's Advocate at 317-232-2345

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">