• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How powerful is POA?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jumaduke

What is the name of your state? Florida.

My husband and I are hesitant to sign our durable-power-of-attorney documents for each other. How powerful is a POA? For example, would my husband be able to drain our bank accounts and skip town while I'm enjoying a pleasant afternoon on the river, or vice versa? Might we build a clause into the POA that would give it a start date, i.e., only when I'm diagnosed comatose by a doctor does the POA go into effect?

BlondiePB

What is the name of your state? Florida.

My husband and I are hesitant to sign our durable-power-of-attorney documents for each other. How powerful is a POA? For example, would my husband be able to drain our bank accounts and skip town while I'm enjoying a pleasant afternoon on the river, or vice versa? Might we build a clause into the POA that would give it a start date, i.e., only when I'm diagnosed comatose by a doctor does the POA go into effect?
You can put such a clause (being incapacitated) in the POA. If your accounts are jointly held, what's to stop your husband from draining your accounts and skipping town while you're enjoying a pleasant afternoon on the river? ;)

Read Chpt. 709 of FL Statutes.

Jumaduke

Maybe the bank account drain wasn't a good example. With POA, couldn't my hubby buy a car in my absence, sign my name to the paperwork, and leave me stuck with the debt? Couldn't he sign away my guardianship rights to the kids? No, I don't expect him to turn on me and do these things. I'm just worrying about worst-case scenario. (Besides, isn't that what will-planning and trust-planning is for?) We're watching his brother go through a messy divorce right now (completely unexpected), and if either of them had POA over the other, I can imagine how one could completely scam the other.

That's why I like the idea of the incapacity clause.

seniorjudge

Q: My husband and I are hesitant to sign our durable-power-of-attorney documents for each other. How powerful is a POA?

A: A financial POA is the most powerful document you can execute.

Q: For example, would my husband be able to drain our bank accounts and skip town while I'm enjoying a pleasant afternoon on the river, or vice versa?

A: Yes.

Q: Might we build a clause into the POA that would give it a start date, i.e., only when I'm diagnosed comatose by a doctor does the POA go into effect?

You must remember that the more conditions you put on the POA, the less likely that a third party will want to rely on it.

seniorjudge

Q: Maybe the bank account drain wasn't a good example. With POA, couldn't my hubby buy a car in my absence, sign my name to the paperwork, and leave me stuck with the debt?

Q: Couldn't he sign away my guardianship rights to the kids?

Q: No, I don't expect him to turn on me and do these things. I'm just worrying about worst-case scenario. (Besides, isn't that what will-planning and trust-planning is for?)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">