• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Substandard Kitchen Remodel

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jenniks410

What is the name of your state? Idaho

Last year I paid a contractor to remodel my kitchen - new cabinets, granite counter-tops and travertine tile floor. At the end of the project, when the contractor had the final payment in hand, he casually mentioned that I had a hump in my floor, and that I was going to have problems with the grout, and I have to continually fill it. I was angry, but he was so horrible to deal with throughout that I figured I could deal with contastly regrouting. I also found out that the contractor's employee who laid the tile had never done it before (by his own admission), and he did mine without any supervision from his employer (he was not a sub, he worked directly for the contractor).

Now, 9 months later, the problems are coming out of the woodwork. The grout keeps collapsing all over the floor, not just where the "hump" is, and 3 tiles have now cracked just from being walked on! I have noticed that the the tack strip between the carpet and the travertine is about the same height at one and of the kitchen, but, at the other end the travertine edge is about 1/4" higher than the tack strip, and I am having issues with the edge of the tile chipping.

Additionally. the cabinet install was substandard - the crown molding is actually pulling away from the ceiling, one cabinet is pulling away from the wall, and nothing seems to be straight/even - drawers, cupboard doors. I had the cabinet maker out last week and he admitted that the installation was poor and that the finish work was never done. I was also told by the contractor that I was getting solid cherry wood cabinets; the cabinets are painted, so I could not really see what they were made of; however, the cabinet maker let me know that the cabinets were not any kind of solid wood, but a some kind of paintable grade pressboard (or something).

I have been lied to and provided substandard products and installation - I am extremely upset and ready to take action.

The question is - what should I do? What are my rights in this kind of situation? I am fairly sure that if I go to the contactor with these issues, he will ignore the whole situation.

rowz

I am going to take a stab at this.

First I would check to see what my states requirements are for licensing home improvement contractors and verify that [if applicable] my contractor was in full compliance of all the states/counties/municipalities regulations. Of course I would also [early on] be talking to the building inspector whose department it was who issued the permits for this work to see what they suggest.

I am sure that the proper permits were pulled for this job. Carefully read over the contract that you both signed for the job. :eek:

TAKE PICTURES NOW!! Lots of them.

Then I would be calmly and cooly be preparing a demand/complaint letter to the contractor that lists all of the problems and issues with the project, the extent of the damages and the remedies demanded. This letter and all subsequent communiques from you are best sent via Certified Mail with RRR & regular mail. I might send 2 sets...one to his residence and the other to his place of business, unless they are one and the same.

I would include in this letter a demand [request?] for a appointment to give the contractor the opportunity to examine the damages. Also, in this letter I would include a reasonable time [10 business days perhaps] for him to reply....in writing. I think that you will need to give the chance to make repairs....but I can also understand why you would not want to see him again....outside of a courtroom, but he must be given the chance to make good. I do not believe that any threats of a lawsuit are necessary....he'll get the drift.

At the same time I would be getting detailed, itemized & written estimates [3] from qualified contractors as to what the damages are and the costs to repair them will be. You may have to pay for good ones...and I do believe that those costs can be added into any settlement negotiations or included in the damages requested through a suit.

Too, I would be talking to the local County Court system to inquire 1) if this guy/firm has any liens or judgements against him or his firm and 2) what the procedures will be for you taking him to court such as the proper court to go to , the filing fees etc. etc.

Or....you could just dump the whole thing in the lap of your favorite local attorney.

ITs just me....I'd be doing all the leg work first, then consult the atty and then make my decision on the best possible course of action.

Good luck.

[And....to the regulars on this board....how I'm doin?]

Old Chinese Proverb - Lean settlement better than fat lawsuit!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">