• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

income tax liability for International student

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rayj

What is the name of your state? Idaho

Hi,

I was a student in the US (Idaho state) from 2004-2005 on a student visa. I am an Indian citizen and returned to India in 2006.

In January 2007, my cousin from India, sent me a gift of $21,000 to my paypal account.

I have a bank account in the United States (which I created when I was a student), to which I have withdrawn the money. I use this account very sparingly and this is probably the only big transaction I have made since I left the US.

I am currently residing in India. Will I be liable to pay US Income tax, since this money has gone to my bank account in the US? I hope to visit the US again in the future -- Will this affect my visa in any way?

Thanks in Advance!

Ray

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Idaho

Hi,

I was a student in the US (Idaho state) from 2004-2005 on a student visa. I am an Indian citizen and returned to India in 2006.

In January 2007, my cousin from India, sent me a gift of $21,000 to my paypal account.

I have a bank account in the United States (which I created when I was a student), to which I have withdrawn the money. I use this account very sparingly and this is probably the only big transaction I have made since I left the US.

I am currently residing in India. Will I be liable to pay US Income tax, since this money has gone to my bank account in the US? I hope to visit the US again in the future -- Will this affect my visa in any way?

Thanks in Advance!

Ray
No, you are not liable for US income tax. A gift can never be taxable to the receiver of the gift. It also would not effect your visa.

FLMommy

I'm sorry to hjack this thread, but am curious about something.

LdiJ: What if the OP receives interest from his bank on this $21000 and is also send the 1099 (I believe?) form to declare the interest to the IRS, would the OP have to file taxes (even though it might not end up that anything is owed, because of the exemptions he/she has as an international student) in that case?

LdiJ

I'm sorry to hjack this thread, but am curious about something.

LdiJ: What if the OP receives interest from his bank on this $21000 and is also send the 1099 (I believe?) form to declare the interest to the IRS, would the OP have to file taxes (even though it might not end up that anything is owed, because of the exemptions he/she has as an international student) in that case?
Yes, interest could be reportable, it depends on any tax treaty because the OP's home country and the US.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">