• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sexual Harrassment at work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jackieO

I started working at a new job approx. 8 months ago. From the minute I started, I noticed that all the upper management as well as my peers ingaged in sexual jokes,sexual comments and profanity. I made it clear to my boss as well as the individuals that I did not appreciate the comments, that it was sexual harrassment and that it was against the law.
Individuals were addressed, however the behaviors have not changed. On Halloween, a manager, my peer dressed up as a "Pimp" and came to work. He made comments in the hallway that he could get any type of woman for anyone. I immediatly stated " You are a walking HR nightmare, be careful or someone will sue you". Well, this particular individual just laughed and ignored my statement. I later walked by his office, and there were several supervisors and associates near him, one of the female supervisors said stand by him for a picture, I said no. Then, another supervisor asked me how much was he selling me for? I gave her a look, then addressed it with her privately.
The worst occured two weeks ago, while in an elevator this manager was joking with me and a supervisor when he turned to me and touched my breast. I immediately spoke to my boss and had a meeting with him and my boss. I told him that I was really tired of his sexual harrassment and that his career, job and personal life could be affected by this if I proceed with a sexual harrassment file/ lawsuit against him. This person apologized to my husband ( Which took me for a loop since my husband wasn't in the room) I stopped him and said, " You didn't touch my husbands breats, you touched mine, and he isn't in the room." He reluctantly apologized to me. Now I was told that he is up for a promotion, I need to shadow him, and perhaps he will be my boss.
Where do I start? Isn't my boss responsible to report it to HR? Please assist me, I really need your expertise.
Your's,
JackieO

B

buddy2bear

You are responsible for reporting it to HR, not your boss, although he could have. You are right, however, it seems as if this company is just asking for it. So, you have some choices: (1) report it to HR and wait to see what they do; (2) file a charge with the EEOC; or (3) walk away and find another job. You know, of course, that your days are numbered anyway don't you?

A

amy wolfe

JackieO:

I am a magazine writer doing a story on bad bosses. Would you want to talk about your experiences offline? You can stay anonymous.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">