• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Petit Larceny Advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tbuividas

What is the name of your state? VA

Me and my brother have both been charged for Petit larceny. The situation is we both walked into giant at the same time, went to the pharmacy section. My brother took several cough products off the shelf and walked down the aisle to another aisle while I stayed there for several minutes not touching anything but just browsing. He walked out and went to the car. I left shortly after. He gave me 2 of the products in the car and kept the rest of them for himself. Shortly after two cops came to our house and my dad let them in. They started questioning us and shortly after my brother admitted to stealing the products and me accepting them in the parking lot. Two witness's said they saw us steal the products and also its on video tape. We gave them the products, paid for them, and also wrote apology letters after. We were both charged with petit larceny even though I wasn't involved in the actual crime really what so ever.

What is the best way to approach this? My brother is willing to say he acted alone in this so that I don't get into any trouble. He has 2 previous arrests with one conviction for theft. I have a previous conviction for misdemeanor trespassing but was arrested for grand theft larceny. The main problem was our dad was there and let the cops basically do anything they wanted, letting them search the house and what not. Any advice would highly be appreciated.

ceara19

First of all, your dad is NOT the problem. Consider yourself lucky that he didn't boot your thieving ass out of the house. You drove to and away from the crime and accepted part of the proceeds from the crime. That makes you an accessory to the crime, so you can't try and claim that you had nothing to do with it. Talk to your lawyer and see if there is a deal on the table from the DA. It sounds like they have a pretty airtight case, so if they are offering a plea, take it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">