• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bad car!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Alec_RA

What is the name of your state? Missouri

After reading over most of the other posts I am pretty sure I will have to eat this, but it never hurts to ask. I purchased a 99 Ford Ranger from a local Title Cash store, the tank was on Empty so I could not take it more than a block for a test drive and they stated that I could not take it "into town" as it was low on gas and had no tags. I waited a couple days and decided to purchase the vehicle, after signing the paper work I drove less then 50 yards from the location and the transmission gave out! I went back to complain and they showed me the door with a to bad and when I mentioned the transmission, they stated that it was previously mentioned that it was bad. The vehicle is currently being towed to a repair shop for an estimate, but the mechanic which I trust looked at it before hand and told me it was probably the transmission and not the clutch or something simple.

Since I signed the paperwork and it is stated "as is" I don't think I have a legal leg to stand on even though they knew the vehicle was bad. But I thought it could be a possibility that I can take them to a small claims style court ( I think it starts with a C but I can not remember at the moment) which will only cost me $50 filing fee and as they are incorporated under law they will have to higher a lawyer costing them money, and maybe I can get lucky.

CraigFL

Before you waste your $50.... Watch Peoples Court a few times about AS-IS auto sales. You had the right to drive and inspect it before you made the deal. You usually don't get much sympathy from the judge when he/she asks why you didn't take your opportunity.

after some quick googling I find that ....

Missouri Lemon law is for new vehicles only
and Missouri does not have a 3-day return law

I think you're outta luck on this one, but if I'm wrong, someone will correct me in a hurry.

--Dave.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">