• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Promissory Note in the Workplace

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mkt

I took this course that my company offers, we train computer professionals. There was no cost involved to my company, and I took this course on my time, not company time, after work hours. The CEO told me that I should sit in this course when there is a seat available, so I did. He wanted me to take the course because it would help my job, because I do admissions into these courses for our company, so the course would give me a better understanding of the technology that we are teaching. Two months after I started the course, he comes to me and says I need you to sign a Promissory note for the cost of the course, if I were to leave the company before one year of the completion of the course. I was upset because he told me that he wanted me to take this course, and I did it on my own personal time, then two months after the course starts he makes me sign this promissory note. I felt that if I didn’t sign the note that I may get fired, he never said any of this before I started the course. If I new he would have made me sign a promissory note two months after I am in this course I would have never taken it. So I signed it, because I could not risk losing my job. Also, he has let many employees and there families take this course for free and never had them sign promissory notes. I know because I do all HR and keep all of there employee folders. So he never paid for me to take this course and I did it on my time, not company time and he also did not give me a choice in the beginning about signing the promissory note before the class actually started. I have records to prove that the class started in May and the promissory notes date is in July. Would he have a case if I left the company and did not pay the promissory note.

D

David J. Miller

What does the promissory not promise if you leave?

M

mkt

Promissory Note

To pay for the course of $5000.00, even though he never paid that amount for me to take the course, it was free and I took the course on my time, so it did not take time out of my work.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">