• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Claim Parents as Dependents in Tax Filing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nishantsanghvi

What is the name of your state? NJ

My parents and sister are staying in another country, but they have valid SSN numbers. Can I claim them as dependents when I am filing returns.

-Nish

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? NJ

My parents and sister are staying in another country, but they have valid SSN numbers. Can I claim them as dependents when I am filing returns.

-Nish
If they are in Mexico or Canada, and IF you can prove that you provide more than 50% of their support, then yes, you can claim them as dependents. However you may not claim EIC, the child tax credit, or the additional child tax credit.

However, if they are in any other country, and/or you cannot prove that you provide more than 50% of their support, you may not claim them as dependents.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">