• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandmother always spoke of an inheritance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

formerGermany

What is the name of your state?
I'm in California - My Grandmother lived in Ohio and died 11 years ago.

I have an odd situation in that my paternal Grandmother always spoke of an inheritance for her Grandchildren however, my brother and I, whom are her Grandchildren from her only son, never saw any of this seemingly undocumented inheritance. My cousins whom are the children of my Grandmothers only daughter, speak of having lots of money but don't share where it came from. Family history revealed that my Grandmother may have received money from her Grandmother or Aunt who used to stuff money in mattresses and jars which I witnessed as a small child. When I've inquired about these matters with my Aunt, she refuses to share any details and has told me that is none of my business.

My Aunt consistently shares quiet phone conversations and secretive e-mails with my Dad and whenever he needs anything, the money is always there for HIS needs.

How can I find out if my Grandmother left any money or some sort of inheritance for my brother and I? Previous searches by me via the internet have turned up odd deposits possibly in my Grandmother's name in Ohio's unclaimed state property profiles. Communications between my Aunt and my cousin are obviously strained and my Dad swears that he knows nothing.

If I hired a PI, what would I have him/her do? Where can I find a qualified PI for this type of inquiry? What can I do on my own?

Thanks

nextwife

You can check the county courthouse where she lived and see what the probate file shows happened with any estate filed for her there.

formerGermany

No probate case filed

Okay. I've contacted the county probate court and no file is on record for her. What now?
Would I file? As I understand it, would that make me the executor of any estate she may have left????

Thank you NextWife and SeniorJudge

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">