• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accused of Date Rape

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? TX

I have a friend who was accused of date rape. He has not been charged, but he has been questioned by the police, and the accuser went to a rape center.

He was questioned earlier in the week.

At what point can he expect charges to be filed if any?

At what point can he feel safe that he will not be charged?

What are the possibilities of sentencing if there is a guilty conviction?

mommyof4

My crystal ball is out for repairs.

Texas SOL for sexual assault (rape) is 10 years. If the girl is a minor, the SOL is 10 years from her 18th birhtday.

He can feel safe after the SOL has expired or the investigation is closed.

There is no way to definitively answer this question as he has not been charged, so nobody can look up the maximum sentencing for any charges he may face. If and when he is charged, post back.

HappyHusband

What is the name of your state? TX

I have a friend who was accused of date rape. He has not been charged, but he has been questioned by the police, and the accuser went to a rape center.

He was questioned earlier in the week.

At what point can he expect charges to be filed if any?

At what point can he feel safe that he will not be charged?

What are the possibilities of sentencing if there is a guilty conviction?
IF he is charged and convicted of Sexual Assault, that is a 2nd Degree Felony, 2-20 years.

eric for ohio

If he is charged, I would cop a plea as fast as possible, to a misdemeanor if at all possible and try to get as short a jail sentence as possible. If they bring charges, there is a good chance they have a strong case. He should not answer any questions with out council present. He might get court appointed defense. I would ask for that. I allot of states, it does not mean you are going to get bad council. He needs to watch every word he says to the police. They can lie to get him to say the wrong thing. They can claim to have more evidence then they really have. The last thing he should do is admit to anything without counsel present.

I am not an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">