• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Executor died, her sister petitioned to become Administrator of their mother's estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Worried!

What is the name of your state? Georgia

My grandmother died in 2000, naming my mother as Executor in her Will. My grandmother had 3 daughters. In my grandmother's Will, she left a portion of land to her oldest daughter, and a portion of land to her youngest daughter (my mother). However, for the middle daughter, my grandmother had it in her Will that she was to receive the remaining land, but only as a "life estate to her, and at her death, the property shall revert to her sisters, share and share alike". Then the Will says, "however, she shall have the right to sell the property to her two sisters". My mother had put my deceased grandmother's money into her name, and eventually used the money to "buy out" the middle sister about 6 years later, which is what my grandmother intended for to happen all along. (It took 6 years before my mother was finally able to get the middle sister to "come around" -- the middle sister didn't understand what was going on, and was under the wrong impression that my grandmother didn't want her to have anything). Let me also say that my mother also paid all the taxes on that remaining property during all those years after my grandmother's death. When the oldest daughter found out about the transaction between her two younger sisters, she claimed that it was illegal. The oldest daughter claimed that half of the remaining property should belong to her, because my grandmother's Will contains the phrase "she shall have the right to sell the property to her two sisters". She gave my mother such a hard time about it, that my mother ended up committing suicide in December. (My mother left no Will, by the way). A little over a month after my mom died, the oldest daughter had me, my brother, and the middle sister served with papers petitioning for her to become Administrator of my grandmother's estate. My brother and I filed an Objection, and stated that we wanted for our father to become Administrator over our grandmother's estate instead of her. The lawyer we spoke with told us that all of the deeds and everything appeared to be perfectly legal. He also told us that the oldest sister "should not have a qualm" with my grandmother's estate, and that the only thing she could contest would be the transaction that took place between my mother and the middle sister, because in my grandmother's Will, the phrase "she shall have the right to sell the property to her two sisters" is ambiguous, and that it would be up to a judge to decide.

My questions are...What could possibly happen if the oldest sister becomes Administrator over my grandmother's estate instead of my father? Also, what could possibly happen if the oldest sister takes this to court to contest the transaction that took place between her two younger sisters (one of which is dead now)?

I am just curious to know "what's the worst that could happen". Any advice or information on this matter will be greatly appreciated; thank you so much in advance!!!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">